'Van Gogh of spinners' draws strength from trials and tribulations

TEST bowler Nathan Hauritz confessed the reason he needed to leave Queensland and re-establish himself in NSW four years ago was he feared becoming a bitter spinner because of the way he was being used by his home state, along with the unrealistic expectations the Bulls placed upon him.

Since moving south, Hauritz has established himself as Australia's first-choice spin bowler, and his reputation as one of the nation's most prized players spiked during the week when Test skipper Ricky Ponting described him as a ''lock'' in the team to contest the Ashes.
"I made the decision to improve myself as a player and as a person as well," said the off-spinner who has taken 57 wickets in 15 Tests. "I became pretty bitter in Queensland and I wasn't very constructive for the team's dynamics.

Hauritz said Ponting's public vote of confidence in him before the Ashes series meant a lot, but added that he can't afford to take his place in the team for granted. "It is comforting to know my captain has such confidence in me," he said. "The rest, though, is up to me. I have to get fit [after the injury], I have to train well and get back the consistency I had before I got injured. I need to keep my confidence up, to keep working and to keep improving and learning.''

No comments:

Post a Comment